How To Discover Your Spirit Animal?
Everyone has a spirit animal. Here are tips on how to find, connect, and develop a meaningful relationship with your spirit or power animal. Whether it’s through daydreaming, meditation, observation in nature, there are many ways to find out what your spirit animal is. Keep in mind that you are likely to develop relationships with several power animals that will guide you during various phases of your life.
Rule 1: Let your spirit animal choose you
There are many ways to find which spirit animal is linked to you. When starting on the path of discovery, it’s important to remember that a spirit animal cannot be chosen. It “chooses” you.
In most cases, spirit animals will be most present when you journey out of your conventional state of mind, such as during meditations, daydreams, night dreams, or other altered states of consciousness. They can also come to you in their physical form. You will notice them because of unusual behavior or multiple encounters in a short time span.
Ways to look for your spirit animal
Finding your spirit animal can lead you to try different approaches. Here are some of the most common ways to get started:
- Look in nature and observe around you. Pay attention to animals and their behavior.
- Be attentive when an animal appears in your life in a way that is noticeable when it has an unusual behavior; it may be a spirit animal trying to grab your attention.
- Watch for repetitive encounters with the animal either in its physical or symbolic form (as object or image)
- Read books on animals and reflect on an animal that is standing out
- Meditate either with the general intention of finding a spirit animal or on a specific animal you’ve found earlier
- Be attentive to dreams featuring animals
- Process of journeying (for instance visualization accompanied by sound, shamanic drumming)
Recommended: 6 Signs This is Not Your First Life On Earth
How to find your spirit animal through meditation
Meditation provides an effective way to connect to your spirit animal. We use the term “meditation” is a loose way to designate means of relaxing and using active imagination to visualize and “journey inwardly”. Set your intention for this inner journey to connect with one or several animals.
Using meditation allows you to drop into a different state of mind or altered state where you are more receptive to the energy and intuitive wisdom of the animal spirits.
Finding your spirit animal in dreams
Animals in dreams are common manifestations of unconscious imagery and guidance. If the animal in your dream is a power or spirit animal that has guided you in the past, pay particular attention to the message your dream delivers.
Animals in dreams whether they are spirit animals or not typically represent:
- feelings that have not been fully acknowledged yet by the dreamer
- the aspect of the personality or feelings considered as “wild” or hard to control;
- basic instinctual drive or emotions;
- an event or person’s influence in the dreamer’s life
- intuitive guidance using the shape of an animal spirit guide
What to do once you have found your spirit animal?
Here are a few things you can do once you think you have found your spirit animal or know what your spirit animal is.
- Learn about your spirit animal as much as you can: Observe it when you see it in physical form, learn about it in books or in other media, feel it, imagine it.
- Quickly list the qualities or attributes of the animal you feel could be your spirit animal. Don’t think about it too much, just respond to these questions as quickly as you can, then ask them again and see if you can find more associations:
- How do animal traits relate to you?
- How does the animal and what it represents connect to experiences you have or had life?
- If your spirit animal had a voice, what would it say to you right now?
Spirit animal questionnaire
Here are a few possible directions to find your spirit animal and figure out what kind of connection you have with it or what message it’s conveying to you. The following questions are applicable to any animal.
How do you feel about the animal and its presence?
If you met your spirit animal in person, how did you feel then? Go back to the roots of the emotional charge of the moment: Were you scared? Did you feel threatened? Were you happy to see your spirit animal?
Are there connections between your spirit animal and situations or events in your life?
Is there a connection between how you feel about your spirit animal and the feelings you have in other areas of your life? Observe if new emotions or associations emerge, as they may have been out of your awareness until now.
The spirit animal could represent your feelings, but also a person, an event, or a situation from your past or present life.
What qualities do you personally associate with your spirit animal?
Look at the characteristics or traits or imaginary qualities or symbols you typically give to your spirit animal. This is a good starting point for creating meanings and developing a stronger connection with your animal spirit guide or guides.
How is the animal typically portrayed by society or spiritual traditions?
You can also look at conventional images or general cultural meanings that are typically attributed to your spirit animal. Spirit animals can be imbued by this generic meaning. Include this perspective in the exploration to find your spirit animal or use it to complement your understanding. Spirit animals often offer puns or a play on words to reveal a deeper message. Be sensitive to this type of association when you try to find the meaning of power animals.